TWO Canberra restaurants have been fined $5000 after breaching COVID-19 health directions.
On September 5, one of the two restaurants fined were caught with almost double the number of patrons than they were supposed to have.
Police say their maximum capacity was 25 people and they had more than 49 people inside the restaurant.
The day before, on September 4, the other restaurant that was fined was caught with 53 patrons when the establishment has a maximum capacity of 43 diners.
The two restaurants had already had interactions with officers and officials.
On top of these fines, ACT Policing has issued six criminal infringements (three business and three individuals), 15 cautions and made one arrest for breaches of COVID-19 Public Health Directions.
Despite these infringements, superintendent Stephen Turnbull, from ACT Policing’s COVID-19 Taskforce, said the majority of businesses were doing the right thing.
“We have generally found businesses are eager to work with us if there are any areas of concern and quickly take all the steps needed to ensure compliance with the health directions,” superintendent Turnbull said.
“During inspections, our primary concern is the maximum capacity limit being adhered to.
“The rules are in a place for a reason, and ACT Policing will continue to work with ACT Health and Access Canberra to ensure business compliance.”