News location:

Canberra Today 9°/13° | Friday, September 24, 2021 | Digital Edition | Crossword & Sudoku

Gen Y shows strong interest for vaccine 

Chief Minister Andrew Barr.

CANBERRA has doubled its record day for vaccination bookings in five hours after the ACT government opened up Pfizer bookings for people aged 30-39.

ACT Chief Minister Andrew Barr shared the good news this afternoon (August 3), saying Canberrans in Generation Y have shown up all other generations in their willingness to get booked.

In five hours, 11,500 Canberrans in that age group made a booking — more than doubling the previous record vaccination booking day.

“It’s been a very busy morning,” the Chief Minister said.

“And we’re only half way through the day.”

The news comes after the ACT reached a milestone today, with 25 per cent of its adult population vaccinated, and 50 per cent of the adult population having received at least one dose of a COVID-19 vaccine.

And while the ACT continues to be one of the leading cities in Australia when it comes to the vaccination rollout, Mr Barr said the vaccination rollout is a race.

“It is a race and it’s a race that Canberrans can do for themselves and for the wider community,” he said.

He said if the ACT continued to see the take up they saw today, based on the current supply of the Pfizer vaccination, he believes 70 per cent of Canberrans could be vaccinated by early summer.

“That’s based on the current supply of the Pfizer vaccine and continued enthusiasm [from Canberrans],” he said.

As for people between 16 and 29, Mr Barr said they will open up to that age group as soon as they have the supply and capacity to do so.

He also reminded people that there is a greater supply of AstraZeneca in the ACT and advised people to get vaccinated with AstraZeneca or Pfizer, but only once getting reliable health advice first.

Pfizer bookings open for ages 30-39

Who can be trusted?

In a world of spin and confusion, there’s never been a more important time to support independent journalism in Canberra.

If you trust our work online and want to enforce the power of independent voices, I invite you to make a small contribution.

Every dollar of support is invested back into our journalism to help keep citynews.com.au strong and free.

Become a supporter

Thank you,

Ian Meikle, editor

Danielle Nohra

Danielle Nohra

Share this

Leave a Reply

Related Posts

News

A drop in employment leads to construction delays

Employment in the ACT’s building and construction sector has slumped to 15,331, down from a high of 20,025 in May last year, according to employment data released by the Australian Bureau of Statistics today (September 24). 

Follow us on Instagram @canberracitynews