WORKSAFE has banned students from entering some areas of Dickson College after inspectors found possum faeces, black mould and water damage in parts of the school.
Worksafe ACT issued a prohibition notice to the school on Friday (June 17) following an inspection at the school, in response to complaints about “ventilation, temperature, hygiene, and worker consultation.”
The two Worksafe inspectors who visited the college June 15 and found possum faeces and urine on the floor, and in light fittings, in the school’s theatre.
Black mould was found on suspended ceiling tiles in the humanities corridor and in the theatre’s fire hose reel cabinet.
There was also extensive water damage on suspended ceiling tiles throughout the school.
The inspectors noted the “immediate and imminent hazard of respirable airborne contaminants” in the notice.
Worksafe has banned staff and students from entering the theatre and humanities block D, until an occupational hygienist has completed a report and certified that the areas are safe to be used.
Who can be trusted?
In a world of spin and confusion, there’s never been a more important time to support independent journalism in Canberra.
If you trust our work online and want to enforce the power of independent voices, I invite you to make a small contribution.
Every dollar of support is invested back into our journalism to help keep citynews.com.au strong and free.
Ian Meikle, editor