MORE than 100 individual competitors took part in this year’s Australian National Eisteddfod singing section.
Madeline Anderson, Esmeralda Rocha and Sarah Dangers won the three open sections—the Phil Perman Music Theatre Prize, Joan Richards Aria Prize and ArtSong Canberra Prize.
The creation of these three sections in the past two years, with the support of the Australian National Association of Teachers of Singing and ArtSong Canberra, highlight the event’s development and good health after a period when the event seemed in jeopardy.
Adjudicator Sarah Marshall supported the entrants by giving her insights into the vocal industry, the importance of versatility and how singers’ voices develop with age.
The plan is for the competition to grow next year. To that end, the Eisteddfod is in conversation with Canberra Opera to start another new section targeting developing artists, with the aim of bringing developing opera singers back to the capital.
Co-directors Janetta McRae and Elisha Holley declared themselves delighted at the standard of singers this year and Holley told the audience: “The most exciting thing for me is to see the kids growing through the years especially when they become adults”.
The Eisteddfod’s next section will be piano, at Ainslie Arts Centre Hall, August 22-25. The Open competitions, will be held from 2pm on Sunday, August 25. Bookings and program details at nationaleisteddfod.org.au
Singing event winners:
- Senior duet (15-18 years) to Kara Murphey and Lara Pulcian
- Middle duet (11-14 years) to Lara Cristofani and Tamara Brammall
- V100 junior duet (7-10 years) to Sophie Manton and Violet Tzafares
- Open Phil Perman Music Theatre Prize to Madeline Anderson
- Open Joan Richards Aria to Esmeralda Rocha
- Open ArtSong Canberra Prize to Sarah Dangers
- Classical song (18 and under) to Lydia Milosavljevic
- Popular song (18 and under) to Christina Pilgrim
- Song from music theatre (18 and under) to Lachlan Brayshaw
- Any song (16 and under) to Jessica Manclark
- Folk song/song by an Australian composer (16 and under) to Jessica Manclark
- African American spiritual or sacred song (16 and under) to Shakinah Kyalo
- Popular song (16 and under) to Shakinah Kyalo
- Music theatre (16 and under) to Lara Christofani
- Any song (14 and under) to Lilian Bailey
- Folk song or song by an Australian composer (14 and under) to Tamara Brammall
- Popular song (14 and under) to Tamara Brammall
- Music theatre (14 and under) to Vuni John Kamilo
- Any song (12 and under) to Matilda Watts
- Folk song or song by an Australian composer (12 and under) to Imogen Baggoley
- Popular song (12 and under) to Jacob Teirney Heher
- Song from music theatre (12 and under) to Emma Piva
- Any song (10 and under) to Antonio de la Torre
- Folk song or song by an Australian composer (10 and under) to Antonio de la Torre
- Popular song (10 and under) to Matilda Viljakainen
- Song from music theatre (10 and under) to Eleanor Graham
- Any song (8 and under) to Zarah Zulkapli
- Popular song (8 and under) to Ava McManus
- Song from music theatre (8 and under) to Amber Russell