News location:

Canberra Today 10°/15° | Saturday, September 25, 2021 | Digital Edition | Crossword & Sudoku

Small businesses forgotten in lockdown announcement ‘fail’

Canberra Liberals Leader Elizabeth Lee. Photo: Holly Treadaway.

DURING the ACT government’s announcement of the extended lockdown, the chief minister “failed to offer any clear pathway forward” and small businesses have been completely forgotten, according to Canberra Liberals Leader Elizabeth Lee. 

Ms Lee’s comments come after ACT Chief Minister Andrew Barr today (September 14) extended the lockdown until October 15, only easing minor restrictions to allow social golf and tennis, real estate viewings and changes to contactless click-and-collect.

Following the announcement Ms Lee said many Canberrans will be rightfully angry and disappointed.

She said it’s unacceptable that whilst announcing a four week extension to lockdown, there are very few changes to restrictions and financial support that will leave many businesses devastated for the foreseeable future.

“This is yet another blow; another slap in the face for small businesses who have been absolutely forgotten by this ACT Labor-Greens government,” she said.

“Thousands of Canberra businesses are yet to receive a cent from the ACT government and over four weeks into a lockdown, this is beyond unacceptable; it is cruel.”

Ms Lee also accused Mr Barr of “spruiking”, for weeks, that today he would provide a roadmap and plan for a safe transition out of lockdown.

“But all he offered was a four week extension with little regard for Canberrans doing it tough,” she said.

“Whilst we respect the health advice keeping Canberrans safe, it is very clear that the Labor-Greens government has turned their back on businesses in the ACT.

“Canberrans are out of jobs, families are struggling to put food on the table; and we are hearing from Canberrans who are on the brink of seeing their lifetime of work going down the drain. They are crying out for some support; they are pleading for some certainty and a plan for a safe transition out of lockdown.

“The Canberra Liberals have real and urgent concerns about the mental health of the business owners that are on the brink of losing everything. These are Canberrans who have given so much to our economy and to our community and this government is leaving them behind.

“The Chief Minister must be upfront with our community and provide some light at the end of the tunnel for our businesses; our parents and teachers; all Canberrans who deserve to know what a safe transition out of lockdown will look like.”

Who can be trusted?

In a world of spin and confusion, there’s never been a more important time to support independent journalism in Canberra.

If you trust our work online and want to enforce the power of independent voices, I invite you to make a small contribution.

Every dollar of support is invested back into our journalism to help keep citynews.com.au strong and free.

Become a supporter

Thank you,

Ian Meikle, editor

Share this

One Response to Small businesses forgotten in lockdown announcement ‘fail’

Jim says: September 14, 2021 at 3:10 pm

I don’t disagree with any of Lee’s points. But if she wants to be really effective, actually have an ‘alternative plan’ of action and put it out there. Say what you would do if you were in government – not just ‘its not good enough’. Be a proper opposition – Lee has the intelligence to do that unlike many of her predecessors as Liberal leader, so start doing it already.

Reply

Leave a Reply

Related Posts

News

A drop in employment leads to construction delays

Employment in the ACT’s building and construction sector has slumped to 15,331, down from a high of 20,025 in May last year, according to employment data released by the Australian Bureau of Statistics today (September 24). 

Follow us on Instagram @canberracitynews