THE long-time CEO of the Queanbeyan-Palerang Regional Council, Peter Tegart, has resigned.
Barely two days after the first sitting of the new council on Wednesday (January 14), news of his shock resignation came in a note to fellow councillors yesterday from mayor of two days Kendrick Winchester.
“CityNews” understands Cr Winchester was informed of the resignation the day after the meeting that elected him mayor.
Further, “CityNews” also understands that Mr Tegart’s resignation was made and accepted by former mayor Tim Overall just before the December 4 NSW local council elections. Mr Overall, who had been in the top job for 13 years, was retiring at that election, but no public mention was made at the time of Mr Tegart’s intention to leave after nearly seven years as CEO. He joined the then Queanbeyan Council as general manager on July 6, 2015.
Mr Overall and Mr Tegart managed the controversial government-forced amalgamation of the Queanbeyan council with the regional council of Palerang. The amalgamation was seen as having been more successful than the amalgamation turmoil other councils were going through in 2016-17. The council was awarded the prestigious AR Bluett Award in 2020, which Mr Overall says was a testament to the council’s ability to adapt to a changing environment.
“It’s rewarding to be part of a council that works closely with the executive team and with the capable council staff who work together on an agreed strategic plan to achieve,” Mr Overall told “CityNews” in October.
It is understood the Mr Tegart will depart at the end of next month, leaving the inexperienced new council to find a replacement. “CityNews” is also told Mr Tegart’s resignation is unlikely to be the only departure from the council’s senior executive ranks.
Mr Tegart has a background of many years in senior roles in local government and federal government authorities, and has been a member of sector, professional, academic and community boards.
Who can be trusted?
In a world of spin and confusion, there’s never been a more important time to support independent journalism in Canberra.
If you trust our work online and want to enforce the power of independent voices, I invite you to make a small contribution.
Every dollar of support is invested back into our journalism to help keep citynews.com.au strong and free.
Ian Meikle, editor